Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Greetings From San Antonio, Texas

Flew down here yesterday on Frontier Airlines (a bargain at $81), took the city bus ($1.25) to The Bullis House Hostel/ B & B ($25).   I'm staying here in San Antonio, trying to figure out how to take a bus down to San Miguel de Allende in central Mexico.  So far it's a bit obscure.   My cousin Michele and her husband and my aunt spend winters down there, and I'm going for a visit (if I figure out how to get there!)  The Bullis House was built in 1909 for US Army General Bullis, Fort Sam Houston is across the street, and it's quite a grand house, in somewhat of a transitional neighborhood. Last year at this time I was on the Queen Mary 2, on this day docked in Muscat, Oman, heading to Hong Kong.  This year, quite a different deal!  
My cousin Seanna  came from SM de A to here just last week on the bus, but the bus co that she took says that even though they come here from there they don't go there from here!   How that works I can't even imagine.  Fortunately two of Seanna's boys live here, and I'll hook up with them tonight and together we'll figure this out!



In any case, two weeks from now I have a ticket from Leon (2 hours from SM de A) to Houston on Aeromexico ($221).    You may ask why I didn't just fly from Denver to SM de A.  Very expensive, and a completely bizarre schedule, over night in both directions.   I have no particular desire to see Houston, but New Orleans is a short Amtrak ride away, so I'll spend a long weekend there, then on Weds. 16 Feb I have a sleeper lined up on the Sunset Limited going all the way to Los Angeles- two nights all meals included for $350.  The Sunset Limited is America's longest operating train, since 1894 and travels NO to LA via Texas, New Mexico and Arizona.   I like the train!   In LA I'll stay with my brother and sister for a bit, and may work at my brother Brian's house on a small addition.    Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Wishing you the best of luck. You always manage to have the best adventures!

    ReplyDelete