Sunday, March 13, 2011

New Orleans Is A City Of Great Contrasts

Arriving there after two weeks in Mexico, I felt almost as though I was visiting yet another country- not returning to the US. At times I was momentarily surprised to pull American money out of my pocket.  As for money, I found New Orleans to be quite reasonable.   I took the train there from Houston, crossing high over the mighty Mississippi on the Huey P Long Bridge, a 1934 structure named for Louisiana's quite corrupt, yet very popular (he was a bit of a Robin Hood) governor and Senator who was assassinated inside the Louisiana State Capitol in 1935. It's a cool old bridge, serving both railroad and auto traffic. Arriving in New Orleans a few minutes later, the first view is of the refurbished Superdome, and the second is of an abandoned skyscraper.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy New Orleans - it's one of my favorite 4-day getaways.

    ReplyDelete