Thursday, February 24, 2011

An Afternoon Stroll In Mexico City



As previously mentioned I had a seven hour layover in Mexico City, I planned it that way. This was actually my third time there. The first time was in 1952 when my parents flew down in a DC3, my mother was pregnant with me, so I don't remember much of the trip, except that we stayed at the Hotel Geneve. Second time, four more children later, in 1970 or so, we all flew down on a family vacation, staying again at the Geneve. I remembered it a being quite a city, and indeed it is.

There's a shuttle bus at the airport connecting with the subway that will take you to downtown for nine pesos, or 75 cents. (I continue to be irritated that Denver's public bus costs 12 dollars for a circuitous route into downtown on a bus that isn't even marked downtown).  People at the airport were very helpful directing me to said shuttle, but without my basic espanol it would have been dificil. The subway system is modeled after that of Paris, with rubber tired trains, and is very crowded, but fast and efficient.  I got off near the national cathedral, with the intent of seeing that and then finding La Reforma- Mexico's grand boulevard and on down to the Zona Rosa where I knew a margarita awaited me at the Hotel Geneva- if it was still there, and if I found it!

Well I had a really nice walk through the city, sunny and in the 70's I suppose. 



The national cathedral of Mexico is sinking, this pendulum somehow keeps track of that.
The city is both old and new, skyscrapers line La Reforma, trees as well, and Hotel Geneve is still there. It's more beautiful than ever, and rooms are about $100 a night. Its namesake street, Geneve has been made pedestrian only, lined with cafes and nightspots, the subway to the aeropuerto is two blocks away, it's definitely a great place to stay in Mexico City. I had two margaritas in the bar off the lobby, one for my mother and one for my dad.  Cheers!  Then off to the subway and the aeropuerto for Aeromexico to Houston

No comments:

Post a Comment