Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I Love LA (Randy Newman)



Or is it Hate California It's Cold and It's Damp (Rogers and Hart)?     Well some of both I guess.   LA has lots of great architecture, my brother and sister live in the region, the grass is green and the flowers are blooming, so it surely beats coming home to snowy Denver.   Which is exactly where I am, eight to ten inches predicted tonight.   I digress.   I disembarked the ship  (very much against my wishes, I want you to know)  now four weeks and three days ago.   I've spent the time roughly equally in Hong Kong, San Francisco, Santa Rosa, Pasadena and Tustin, in Orange County.     The weather was indeed cool and damp, starting with Hong Kong, and lasting though Tustin, about a week ago it started to warm up.   I did  make it around the world in 80 days, arriving here Fri. 19 March at 8:00 pm on the California Zephyr (40 minutes late),  the same train I left on Dec. 30, from the same spot, Denver Union Station.   As I sit here typing, the classic Denver afternoon thunderstorm has developed, raining currently, will most likely turn to the promised  snow in a bit.   Back to the topic, which is LA architecture.   When I'm in LA I get around by trains and buses, with walks here and there.  The Gold Line light rail stops a mile from my sisters et al in Pasadena, goes into LA Union Station, where I can catch Amtrak down to my brothers.   There's lots of opportunities for photos  of  great buildings and interesting vistas along the way, so enjoy these:

No comments:

Post a Comment