Friday, March 5, 2010

Phuket, Thailand



Phuket is the beach resort that was destroyed by the infamous tsunami of three years ago.   It has been completely rebuilt, with prominent evacuation route signs posted.  Conveniently, hills are right next to town!   It is your typical island resort, full of backpackers, sun worshippers, street vendors, tuk-tuks, motor scooters, and prostitutes!   Loads of fun if that's what your after.   I should have found someone to head off around the island with-- there's a game reserve with elephants. and a giant Buddha, but I contented myself with a wander about town, then back to the ship for lunch (never say no to a free lunch).  I enjoyed the tender ride to shore and back so much I did it twice more!   We pulled anchor at 7 p.m. and it was off to our next port of Georgetown, Panang, Malaysia, which proved to be much more interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment