Friday, November 12, 2010

From the "Umbrellas of Cherbourg" to "Irma La Douce"


I've been on the ship now three days, the first two, back and forth to Cherbourg and the last evening from Southampton.  Each day has seen multitudes embarking and disembarking, and you can tell it's kept the crew really busy.  The Cherbourg trip was sold as a two day cruise so there were lots of partyers on board--never have seen the bars so crazy.  It's great to be back on board, I really feel like I'm a somebody!  To a person the crew that I got to know while on board in January and February remember me, have greeted me warmly.  In a pleasant coincidence, I have the same stewardess as on the January trip.. She's so nice, Hershey is her name.  I'm assigned as well to the same hosted (the chief engineer's) table, that I was lucky enough to be seated at for the last week of my 40 day adventure of early this year.

Which brings us to Irma.  Irma practically lives on Cunard.    I had the pleasure of meeting her in January over breakfast in the Britannia dining room. I remember she scolded the (poor) steward as he set down her plate with the Cunard logo just off center, not at 12 o"clock high as it's supposed to be. She went on in great detail as to how she wanted her bran muffin prepared, sliced in half and grilled.   I had forgotten of her (how I don't know) till I arrived at table 69, now two nights ago, to find the last available seat awaiting me, and there she was, at my right side.   She's very chatty, so you have to work to get a word in edgewise, tough but its doable.  She had just gotten off Cunard's new Queen Elizabeth's maiden and second voyage (one is not enough) voyage, and is now heading home (Pasadena).   Absolutely every staff person on the ship knows her, all you have to do is put your hand up on your head in the shape of a bun and people know who you are talking about.  She's full of stories, and has an opinion on everything-- a lively presence at the table!    Probably I was assigned to that table because the maitre d' is constantly looking out for a single male, there just aren't that many on board usually.   So I'm happy, it's a great table, two away from the captain's, right in the thick of things in the beautiful Brittania dining room.  It's hosted by the ship's chief engineer on formal nights,when the wine (first white then red) is on him. 
   

Tonight is a second formal night, time now to get dolled up go see what's up in Irma's world tonight!      That's her on the far right, charming (no doubt) the chief engineer, Martyn.   Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment