Sunday, November 7, 2010

Good Morning From Magnificent Edinburgh

I had never been to Scotland before, and after three days in this beautiful country I would come back again in a heartbeat.   On thursday, after disembarking the King of Scandinavia at Newcastle (Brown Ale) I caught the train up to see my friends, Steve and Allison who I had met on the QM2 crossing the Atlantic in January this year.   It took about three hours to get there, a fair bit of it right along the coast of the North Sea.   They met me at the station at Carnoustie, and took me to their home in Monifieth.   If you are a golfer you know these names.   Incidentally, all the courses are community owned- no private clubs here.  




The Blue Marlin, in Monifieth is the name of their restaurant, Steve is the chef and Allison runs the front of the house.   They installed me in their beautifully just redecorated guest room, and had to get off to work.  The had a very sociable friend of theirs come over to "American sit".  She is a forensic archeologist and had worked digging up bones in Kosovo, among lots of other job sites- very interesting.    When things slowed up at the restaurant Steve and Ali came and picked us up and took us there for a really great dinner.  Mussels and oysters and shrimps and lobster, oh my!   It was very good.  Interestingly, Steve had done his training as a chef on the QE2!  In fact he had worked on her maiden voyage, and then for a number of years, so he had lots of stories to tell.   I loved it.   Because of their proximity to the golf courses of The Blue Marlin, their guests come from all  over the world, and I can see why!    We had a dessert (pudding in the UK) of pineapple, strawberries and cocoanut ice cream.   mmmm.    Next day Steve took me for a ride in his fast red Mercedes--1992, 40,000 miles, then lunch at the Marlin and to the station for the ride down to Edinburgh.    It was really a fun visit- it's great while travelling to have a stay in a real home, with lovely people.   Made a real highlight in my trip!

1 comment: