Sunday, January 10, 2010

I Am So Surprised!


By several things actually but let's start with the weather.    It's been much warmer than I ever thought it would be!   After all the bitter cold of last week, I just figured on more of the same.    First morning out of New York I poked my nose out onto the balcony of my cabin and it wasn't bad at all.   By the afternoon it was in the 50's, sunny and perhaps most significantly the wind was at our stern-- meaning of course that coupled with the speed of the ship there was effectively little or no wind at all! Mind you it's not the Carribean but it's been pleasant.   I believe this proves my contention that all of the severe winter weather in the States is the fault of Canada!  Ahead, Great Britain is in a terrible state, with snow everywhere and transportation at a standstill.  There are about 700 passengers disembarking in Southampton and there's quite a bit of chatter on board among them about messed up travel plans.    The wind direction shifted a couple of days ago,  we've been heading into it, so it's not nearly so pleasant on deck, but it's still a good walk out there,  just no hanging out in the great teak deck chairs--in fact they are now tied to the railing.   I had booked a shore excursion to Bath to see the Roman ruins there, but alas it was cancelled yesterday due to all the bad weather.   Cunard though runs a shuttle to the centre of Southampton so that will be fun to explore.  People have told me the shopping is "brilliant"   I'll plan to find some free wifi and upload a bunch of pix.    We dock tomorrow morning at 5 am. and it's supposed to be snowing   It's amazing how quickly this week has gone by.    Of the 6 days only Thurs was the sea rough, with waves crashing over the windows on Deck 2, the lowest passenger deck, where the Golden Lion Pub is located.    I made a little video watching the waves out side and of my beer on the table showing no motion whatever--this ship is steady!    She just plows right through,  and she's fast.   The only way to cross!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment