Monday, January 4, 2010

The Jane Hotel

I've got one hour left before I hop a taxi to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, so I going to post as much as I can-- last chance for free internet access.   Onboard ship it's 75 cents a minute, and they say you can do laundry while things upload.     It's been a fun weekend and The Jane is the perfect base to operate from-- a  great location in the West Village;  a friendly, helpful staff, wonderful decor  and a restaurant--Cafe Gitane, off the lobby.   I had breakfast there each morning.   No free refill on the coffee though,  Americanos etc only.   The rooms are called cabins, and they are about three times bigger than my roomette on the train. They are fitted out to the max--drawers under the bed, luggage rack overhead, flat screen tv, brass hooks along the walls, wood panelling, a big mirror, safe,  a marble shelf over the radiator so your socks are warm in the am,  AND FRETTE LINENS!    pretty cool!       The bathrooms are down the hall,  and they are spotless and stylish.    If you want to pay more you can stay in the captain's quarters--much larger room facing the Hudson with ensuite bath--$250 per night.     The hotel opened in 1907 as a seafarers hotel and housed survivors of the Titanic!    All in all, really fun!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Paul, it is fantastic! I am positively green with envy. Wish I was there, too. Enjoy every minute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps the most economical way to communicate on board will be to write your blog on placards and stand in front of the webcam.

    ReplyDelete